Parish Safeguarding Policy Statement
The Parish of St Michael and St George’s White City SAFEGUARDING POLICY STATEMENT 2019
The following policy was agreed at the Parochial Church Council (PCC) meeting held on 12th May 2019
In accordance with the House of Bishops’ Policy Statements ‘Promoting a Safer Church’ (2017) and ‘Protecting All God’s Children’ (2010) and the Diocesan Safeguarding Policy ‘Promoting a Safer Diocese’ (2018) our church is committed to:
- Promoting a safer environment and culture.
- Safely recruiting and supporting all those with any responsibility related to children, young people and vulnerable adults within the church.
- Responding promptly to every safeguarding concern or allegation.
- Caring pastorally for victims/survivors of abuse and other affected persons.
- Caring pastorally for those who are the subject of concerns or allegations of abuse and other affected persons.
- Responding to those that may pose a present risk to others.
The Parish will:
- Create a safe and caring place for all.
- Have a named Church Safeguarding Officer (CSO) to work with the incumbent and the PCC to implement policy and procedures.
- Safely recruit, train and support all those with any responsibility for children, young people and adults to have the confidence and skills to recognise and respond to abuse.
- Ensure that there is appropriate insurance cover for all activities involving children and adults undertaken in the name of the parish.
- Display in church premises and on the Parish website the details of who to contact if there are safeguarding concerns or support needs.
- Listen to and take seriously all those who disclose abuse.
- Take steps to protect children and adults when a safeguarding concern of any kind arises, following House of Bishops guidance, including notifying the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) and statutory agencies immediately.
- Offer support to victims/survivors of abuse regardless of the type of abuse, when or where it occurred.
- Care for and monitor any member of the church community who may pose a risk to children and adults whilst maintaining appropriate confidentiality and the safety of all parties.
- Ensure that health and safety policy, procedures and risk assessments are in place and that these are reviewed annually.
- Review the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy, Procedures and Practices at least annually.
Each person who works within this church community will agree to abide by this policy and the guidelines established by this church.
This church appoints Ms Veronica Mariqueo as the Church Safeguarding Officer
Incumbent: Reverend Ben Humphries – 020 8735 0852
Churchwardens: Mrs Suzy Ofosu and Dr Boshi Mohlala
Last Updated: 12th May 2019
If you are concerned that someone you know is at risk of, or is being abused, or presents a risk to others you can report the matter to the Local Authority Social Care Services on the helpline numbers below.
Hammersmith and Fulham Social services helplines:
Safeguarding Adults: 0208 753 4198, option 3
Children and Family Care: 020 8753 6600. (Out of hours 020 8748 8588)
Other Useful Helplines
- Childline on 0800 1111
- National Domestic Violence helpline: 0808 2000 247
- Samaritans: 116 123
- Action on Elder Abuse: 080 8808 8141
IF THERE IS IMMEDIATE RISK OR DANGER PLEASE CONTACT THE POLICE ON 999